These are the books I’ve read in 2013 that I would recommend to every passing stranger (not necessarily published this year):
1. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline- Suddenly, I’m Steve of Voltes V and I’m looking to get Steve Jobs’ fortune in a contest that can literally cost me my life.
2. The Passage by Justin Cronin – Eating was not necessary whilst I was reading the book. Of course, I had to read The Twelve immediately after.
3. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson – I didn’t know it was part of a ten book series and that the other books have not been written yet. I wanted to kill the author for putting his readers through the agony of waiting.
4. Symbols and Signs (Short Story) by Vladimir Nabokov – I’ve just read it three days ago and I’m still brooding about it.
5. The Goldfinch – I just finished it and even though I didn’t want to let go, it was so long that breaks were needed, you know, for eating and sleeping?
6. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender – I go round and round thinking about the twist at the end.